Below is a list of resources and upcoming helpful events for those currently affected by the government shutdown in the DMV.
- Kraft will be opening a pop-up shop in near Union Market in Washington D.C. until January 20th. According to their Facebook event, Kraft will be giving out many of their products including Macaroni and Cheese, Kraft Singles, and an assortment of dressings.
- &pizza will be offering a free pie to anyone who shows an employee their government ID from 3-5pm every day.
- Ham and turkey giveaway at National Capital Baptist Convention
- January 21, 2019, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Beltway Plaza, 6000 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt, MD 20770
Energy Assitance Program - Many furloughed federal workers are having to make the tough decision of which bill is the most important to pay currently. If you're currently experiencing energy loss or would like to prevent this from happening, contact your state's EAP. This program provides assistance with bills to households that are eligible.
Here are the links to apply for your Energy Assistance Progam:
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline - 1-800-273- TALK (8255)
- Maryland Crisis Connect is available 24/7 to provide support, guidance, and assistance. Please call 211 and select option 1, text your zip code 898-211, or visit MDCrisisConnect.org.
- Virginia Prevention Hotline - 1-703-527-4077
- Washington, D.C. - 1-888-7-WE-HELP
- A ‘Furlough Membership’ for the Fitness Rooms Only at all 44 community centers, senior activity centers, Wayne K. Curry Sports & Learning Center, Fairland Sports and Aquatics Complex, and Allentown Splash, Tennis and Fitness Park for any furloughed worker.
- Waiving before & after childcare fees at Community Centers and Therapeutic Recreation including Pre-School, Leisure Skills Development, Leisure & Life Skills, Kids Care, Morning Care, Kids Club, Extended Care, and Kids Day Out for any dependent of furloughed workers.
For more resources for those currently on furlough, click here.