Reported by WUSA9, HHS Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Sarah Lovenheim shared that a bomb threat was received at the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on the 200 block of Independence Avenue in D.C. this morning (Wednesday, Oct. 27).
"Out of an abundance of caution, we evacuated the building and there is no reported incident," Lovenheim said.
Police and Homeland Security are present in the area and several buildings (HHS HQ, GSA Building, Botanic Garden, and O’Neill Building) in the surrounding area have also evacuated.
As of 10 a.m., the following roads have been closed to traffic out of precaution:
- Independence Avenue Southwest between Washington Avenue and Third Street Southwest.
- Washington Avenue Southwest between Independence Avenue and C Street Southwest
- C Street between Second Street and Third Street Southwest
- Second Street Southwest between Independence Avenue and Street Southwest
- D Street Southwest between Second Street and Fourth Street Southwest
No injuries have been reported, this story is developing.